Michigan Civil Rights Lawyer
The Constitution guarantees all citizens certain rights and freedoms that the government can never violate. From the individual who has suffered abuse at the hands of the police, to victims of medical neglect in jails, prisons, and youth homes, we are dedicated to prosecuting civil rights violations throughout Michigan, pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
Types of Civil Rights Lawsuits in Michigan
There are many kinds of civil rights lawsuits in Michigan, such as police brutality or excessive force claims. Other examples include lawsuits for malicious prosecution, false arrest, or false imprisonment. If your loved one has had his civil rights violated by the government, and that violation resulted in physical harm or death, you may be able to file a civil rights lawsuit against the police officer who caused the harm. We will aggressively litigate civil rights violations throughout Michigan for cases involving:
- Police brutality
- Excessive force
- False arrest/wrongful imprisonment
- Failure to prevent suicide
- Sexual assault
- Suffocation/asphyxia from excessive force
An Overview of Our Civil Rights Practice
Some of the civil rights cases we've handled include:
- Prosecuting a Michigan Child Caring Institution for failing to prevent the foreseeable and tragic suicide of a 15 year old boy;
- Filing a civil rights lawsuit against the Macomb County Jail for its systemic indifference towards individuals vulnerable to suicide, failing to prevent suicide, failing to train, and failing to render life-saving treatment;
- Prosecuting a Michigan Child Caring Institution for hiring an employee with a history of violence, who sexually assaulted several children.